Rittgers Fund/Convention Assistance
Defining Rittgers convention fund standards
WHEREAS, in 1961 Gwen and George Rittgers lead in the efforts to establish the new state affiliate of the National Federation of the Blind with George serving as our first president; and
WHEREAS, under their leadership this affiliate flourished and grew throughout the state becoming a vital voice for blind persons in Missouri; and
WHEREAS, before her death Gwen contributed the seed money for a convention fund to help first timers get to the convention as well as helping those who needed assistance if sufficient funds were available after priority was given to first timers; and
WHEREAS, it was anticipated that local chapters would contribute to the fund to make it self-perpetuating so that maximum participation at our conventions would be realized; NOW, therefore,
BE IT RESOLVED, in convention assembled, this 31st day of March 2012 in Kansas City that each chapter be encouraged to donate at least $50.00 per year to the George and Gwen Rittgers Convention Fund.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that the following standards be established in allocating funds from the fund:
- The State board will allocate the maximum amount to be used from the fund by January 31 of each year.
- An Individual application must be made 30 days before the beginning of convention by the person requesting the funds or by their chapter president which explains the reason for the requests.
- It is not intended that these funds would pay the entire cost of convention attendance and the committee is only to allocate funds based on need and will not use the entire allocated amount unless recipients needs justify it.
- The State President may authorize funding after the deadline in extraordinary circumstances if funds remain in the allocation.
- Whenever practical funds will be directly paid either to cover hotel costs or convention registration and meals.
- New or perspective members will be given highest priority in their requests.
- Persons who have previously attended a Missouri convention will then be given consideration.
- No person shall receive funds a second or subsequent time unless they experience an unexpected financial crisis that would otherwise prevent their attendance.